Hi Alan,

Returning pointers from a service program or external routine is extremely bad form no matter what. The only time that I find it appropriate is where it must be returned as with a USPC_GetPointerToUserSpace.

I agree with you that you should not return pointers in situations where the calling routine is expected to interpret the contents of the memory that it points to.

However, by the same token, I don't think returning a pointer to a user space is a good idea, either!! The calling program shouldn't need to know that you've stored your data in a user space, or dynamic memory, or a file, or anything else -- all of that should be transparent to the caller! Returning a pointer to a user space is every bit as bad as returning a pointer to allocated memory or to a static variable.

Unfortunately, in the case of MODS, there's no other way to pass them from one procedure to another. So, if you MUST pass a MODS, that's how you have to do it. Though, I agree that replacing the MODS with multiple calls to a procedure is better, if it's possible.

The one place that I do allow returning a pointer is when the pointer is "opaque". In other words, the caller doesn't need to know what it points to, what the format of that space is, how big it is... it doesn't have to know anything about it. Although I know that some people on this list won't agree with me, I don't think an opaque pointer is that bad. It's certainly better than returning a data structure (which is the workaround that I've seen many people do)

For example, let's say you're creating a service program that works with an order. You want to use a pseudo-object-oriented approach. So you do something like this:

         x = order_new();
         order_load(x: 'SA12354');
         order_setShipTo(x: 'Scott Klement'
                          : '123 Sesame St'
                          : 'Milwaukee'
                          : 'WI'
                          : '53201' );
         order_save(x);
         order_destroy(x);

In the code above, X is a pointer. The "ORDER" service program contains subprocedures called "order_new" "order_load" "order_setShipTo", etc. Inside that service program, it points to a data structure that contains all of the per-order state information. That way, the srvpgm can be written to allow many different "order objects" to be created at once.

To encapsulate this, order_new() allocates space for the DS, and returns the pointer. The caller doesn't know what the format of the memory, the size of the allocatation, etc are. All it knows is that this is a "handle" that it has to pass back to the other routines in the order srvpgm. Obviously, order_destroy() frees up that memory.

That way, if I need to add more stuff to the ORDER srvpgm's data structure, I can make the allocation bigger, add fields, etc, without breaking anything.

I consider this approach to be acceptible. Now, I know someone is going to reply to this message and tell me that I should use a numeric handle instead of a pointer. And, I don't disagree, but I don't think the pointer method is bad, either. If someone is foolish enough to examine the memory that the pointer points to and try to reverse engineer the data structure, they deserve their fate when an upgrade breaks compatibility :)

But, for sure, in a situation like yours where people are returning a pointer and expecting the caller to interpret the memory, I think that's a bad idea, and should be nipped in the bud.