Looks like a good idea to me, but you're using TESTB to determine the status
of each bit.  That op-code is not available in free-form, which is why I'm
trying to figure out the equivalent using %BITAND.

Were I to substitute %BITAND for TESTB in your example, would it look like
the following:
*IN50 = %BITAND(CHAR:x'F0')
*IN51 = %BITAND(CHAR:x'F1')
*IN52 = %BITAND(CHAR:x'F2')
*IN53 = %BITAND(CHAR:x'F3')
*IN54 = %BITAND(CHAR:x'F4')
*IN55 = %BITAND(CHAR:x'F5')
*IN56 = %BITAND(CHAR:x'F6')
*IN57 = %BITAND(CHAR:x'F7')?

Thanks.

Donald R. Fisher, III
Project Manager
Roomstore Furniture Company
(804) 784-7600 extension 2124
DFisher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<clip>
C                   Testb     '0'           Char                     50
C                   Testb     '1'           Char                     51
C                   Testb     '2'           Char                     52
C                   Testb     '3'           Char                     53
C                   Testb     '4'           Char                     54
C                   Testb     '5'           Char                     55
C                   Testb     '6'           Char                     56
C                   Testb     '7'           Char                     57
<clip>