She then enters 'HELO' in the command field and presses enter. The programs goes into a loop that executes

rc = recv(sock: %addr(ch): 1: 0)

The first 3 times it receives back non-displayable characters and the 4th time it hangs the program and F12 can't even exit the program.

The reason that these characters are non-displayable is that their in ASCII. The SMTP protocol (the one that's used for e-mail) is an ASCII protocol. Make sure you've translated your HELO statement to ASCII. Make sure that you follow the HELO statement with a carriage return and line feed.

You're right that F12 won't have any effect on the recv() API. The recv() API has no connection whatsoever to your display file. It doesn't know that you pressed F12 (or anything else). F12 only has any effect when your program is waiting for input from a display file.

She also was trying to key commands to talk to a couple devices we have on the network that required an escape character, and a Carriage Return. When she typed those commands, nothing happened. We are wondering when calling this environment do we need the EBCDIC value or the ASCII value?

Usually ASCII. However, you'll need to talk with whomever created the devices to find out for sure. It would be up to the programmer who created the software for the device. But, since ASCII is used by perhaps 99% of the computers in use today, it's unusual to see EBCDIC used for this sort of thing.

Does anyone have any knowledge about these programs?

About my programs? The ones in the tutorial? Yeah, I have some knowledge. However, you're not using my programs, you're writing your own. Knowledge of my own code won't help you there. ;)