Scott,

Thanks for taking the time to explain it. I would be very interested in
your RPG Base64 decoding routine. Just for your information, the 'decode'
class accepts and returns a Byte array.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark D. Walter
Senior Programmer/Analyst
CCX, Inc.
mwalter@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ccxinc.com

             Scott Klement
             <rpg400-l@scottkl
             ement.com>                                                 To
             Sent by:                  RPG programming on the AS400 /
             rpg400-l-bounces@         iSeries <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             midrange.com                                               cc

                                                                   Subject
             03/02/2005 12:15          Re: Java and Base64
             PM

             Please respond to
              RPG programming
              on the AS400 /
                  iSeries
             <rpg400-l@midrang
                  e.com>

> No. What you said is the getBytes method of the String class translates
> ASCII to EBCDIC. I'm not using that. Thanks for clarifying it for me.

Okay, I'll clarify it further. Anytime RPG receives an alphanumeric field
(RPG data type "A") from a Java class, it translates it from ASCII to
EBCDIC.

You might consider having an array of 3U 0 fields (1-byte integers) that
overlays an alphanumeric string (using a data structure to make it
overlay.) It will not translate 3U 0 fields!

You'll have to change your prototypes so that they accept arrays of 3U 0
instead of alphanumeric strings. You'll need to do that on output only
since you'll want the input to be in ASCII so that the ASCII-based Java
runtime will view it as valid base64 data, and decode it properly.

I'm not familiar with the particular Java classes that you're calling, so
I can't give you specifics unless I want to do more research. But please
keep in mind that if the output of the decode routine is a Java String
object, you won't be able to directly use the result in RPG -- you'll have
have to call the getBytes() method of the String class.  Likewise, if the
input is a Java String object, you'll have to use a String constructor to
convert the RPG data to a String object.

This is what I mean by convoluted. I've already spent more time & effort
trying to explain these Java classes than it would've taken me to send you
my pure RPG solution, which I've already written and am familiar with how
it works. And the RPG solution would run faster.

I'm not saying this to be a jerk. I'm trying to offer you both help and
advice. Just say the word, and I'll send you the RPG solution.