I had similar problems with setFillBackgroundColor(short arg) method - it
hasn't worked anything...

But I figured out that combination
setFillForegroundColor(HSSFColor.ACQUA.index) and
setFillPattern(HSSFCellStyle.SOLID_FOREGROUND) do what I wanted.
It's not same but it looks similar - I was short with time so I made
colored cells in documents with this peace of code.

One more thing,
I had another program that had to copy some rows from one xls to another.
I had the same problem with HSSFCellStyle and Colors. Copy of xls finaly
looked OK after I created a method for copying all CellStyle properties of
source cell to destination cell.

There are probably some more steps that have to be performed while setting
background color but I don't no them:))

Best regards,
Igor Bešlić, dipl. ing. rač.
e-mail: Igor.Beslic@xxxxxxxxxxxx

"Peter Dow" <maillist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
05.12.2004 19:40
Please respond to

<RPG400-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Using Java in RPGLE - setFillBackgroundColor

Hi All,

I'm creating a spreadsheet from an RPGLE program, using Scott Klement's
service program and prototypes (thanks Scott!) and discovered the only
color
stuff provided is for setting the color of the font, and only the color
red
or automatic.  No problem I thought, I'll just go to the Jakarta POI HSSF
website (http://jakarta.apache.org/poi/hssf/index.html) and figure it out.
There's a sample in Java:

Fills and colors
    HSSFWorkbook wb = new HSSFWorkbook();
    HSSFSheet sheet = wb.createSheet("new sheet");

    // Create a row and put some cells in it. Rows are 0 based.
    HSSFRow row = sheet.createRow((short) 1);

    // Aqua background
    HSSFCellStyle style = wb.createCellStyle();
    style.setFillBackgroundColor(HSSFColor.AQUA.index);
    style.setFillPattern(HSSFCellStyle.BIG_SPOTS);
    HSSFCell cell = row.createCell((short) 1);
    cell.setCellValue("X");
    cell.setCellStyle(style);

After looking at the Java definition for setFillbackgroundColor

java.lang.Object
  org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel.HSSFCellStyle

Method:
 void setFillBackgroundColor(short bg)
          set the background fill color.

I added a prototype for setFillBackgroundColor to Scott's HSSF_H source
member:

D HSSFCellStyle_setFillBackgroundColor...
D                 PR                  EXTPROC(*JAVA
D                                     :'org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel-
D                                     .HSSFCellStyle'
D                                     :'setFillBackgroundColor')
D   color                        5I 0 value

I'm not sure what the "bg" means in (short bg), but the above compiled
just
fine.  I then use it to set the background color of a cell style:

HSSFCellStyle_setFillBackgroundColor(ColHeading: COLOR_RED);

and apply the cell style to a cell:

hssf_text( row: 0 : 'Description': ColHeading);

however, the resulting spreadsheet has all the other attributes of
ColHeading (bold, border, font color, etc) but not the background color.

What am I missing?

Peter Dow
Dow Software Services, Inc.
909 793-9050 voice