From: rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Barbara Morris
Sent: Thursday, November 18, 2004 11:03 AM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Array over fields in a data structure

Lim Hock-Chai wrote:

> What if there is no pattern in between each field.  ( The actual data
> structure has no pattern).
> If I change the structure to be as follow:
>       A          R TESTDSFMT
>       A            MYFEC1         3
>       A            MYOTHER1       9   0
>       A            MYFEC1OK       1
>       A            MYFEC2         3
>       A            MYOTHER2       5
>       A            MYOTHER3       7
>       A            MYFEC2OK       1
>       A            MYFEC3         3
>       A            MYFEC3OK       1
>       A            MYFEC4         3

To get the MYFEC fields to be contiguous in the program, then instead of
using an externally-described DS for this file, define a USROPN F spec
for the file, and then define a DS like this (with just the names, no
type information):

D fecDs       DS
D   MYFEC1
D   MYFEC2
D   MYFEC3
D   MYFEC4
 etc
D   MYFEC_ARR          LIKE(MYFEC1) overlay(fecDS)
D                      DIM(whatever)