Scott,

> Actually, what it does is run DSPPGMREF to an *OUTFILE, see where each
> file that you referenced last time you built the program was, and do an
> explicit override for each file before compiling it again.

Nice!  Then you'd cover automagically the vast majority of scenarios.
But I still like having the requirements "documented" within the
source and knowing it matches what was used during the compile -- even
if moved to a different machine.

> I've often thought about writing a utility like yours. Or simply having
> one CL program to compile each RPG program.  Or using a MAKE utility, like
> I do in Unix...

It always seemed to me that just including the few (if any) CL
commands required plus any compile keyword overrides seemed easier to
just include within the source member.  Again, it made just one source
to transfer between systems, and made it easy for the programmer to
see any special requirements for the program when they first display
the source member.

A true MAKE utility is far better when you get the paradigm of C
"projects" with lots of source members linked to one executable.  And
while you can do that with RPG using ILE, I tend to use a single
module per RPG program and service programs, not multiple modules per
program.  So having the compile instructions within the source has
worked well for me, even with ILE.

I use MAKE for my C projects compiled on the PC though...

Doug