I've worked with a couple clients to set up web apps where
we did just this.

I came in as the web developer.  I would create the
interface using eRPG SDK or CGIDEV2 (or both).  When I need
to do something, like look up a customer number, add an
item to an order, etc, I would talk to their developer and
have them write either a callable program or an ILE
procedure that I would call to do the work.

We set it up so that the procedure or program would also
return error codes so that my app didn't care what they
were, it just new if there was an error to lookup the text
and display it an not continue.

When we got done, they always ask "Hey, can we use these
procedures/programs with our green screens?"

Then I say "Aha!  Very good!  Yes...  Keep the business
logic seperate and you'll save tons of time..."

So, in essencse, not only did I help them with the web
front end, but I "tricked" them into seperating business
and presenetation layers...  Needless to say they were very
happy!

This does end up with two "apps" (one for web, one for
green screen), but they are display layer only.  All the
business logic is seperated.

Brad
www.bvstools.com