Scott Klement wrote:

> > 2) It would appear that my call-back proc was indeed being called and it was
> > the call to system() that was failing. However, I had a debug breakpoint
> > within the proc and it was never invoked. Is it a case that call-back procs
> > can't be debugged because they get called outside the normal process?
>
> Yes, that is the case.

I've often set breakpoints in call-back procedures.

Also, even with *IMMED, the call-back gets called.

I just made the a little test using the following little program (on
V5R2, but I'm sure this is the way it's always worked) .  I set a
breakpoint on the DSPLY line and called my program, pressing ENTER on
the first 'wait' line.  When I did RCLACTGRP QILE, my breakpoint fired.

Then I submitted the call to batch, and killed the job *IMMED while the
'wait' dsply was waiting for an answer, and the 'callback' dsply showed
up.

H dftactgrp(*no) actgrp('QILE')
D proc            pr
D pptr            s               *   procptr inz(%paddr(proc))
C                   callb     'CEE4RAGE'
C                   parm                    pptr
C                   parm                    *omit
C     'wait'        dsply                   ans               1
C                   seton                                        lr
P proc            b
C     'callback'    dsply                   ans               1
P proc            e