> If you're really worried about it, then the ALLOC approach that you
> suggested is the way to go.  Here's how you implement that approach:
>
> 1) Note that in the API documentation under "Length of
> Receiver Variable"
> it tells you that the receiver variable's minimum size is 8
> bytes.  What
> that means is that it's perfectly legal to pass a receiver
> variable that
> looks like this:
>
>      D Needed          ds
>      D   BytesRtn                    10I 0
>      D   BytesAvl                    10I 0
>
> 2) Call the API with that 8-byte data structure above as your receiver
> variable.  The "BytesAvl" member will tell you EXACTLY how
> big of a buffer
> you need.
>
> 3) Allocate the buffer with pointer = %alloc(BytesAvl)
>
> 4) Have a second data structure, this one will use the BASED
> keyword to
> put it into the memory that you allocated to the pointer.  The data
> structure itself can be any size you like, since the amount of memory
> allocated is unrelated to the size of the data structure itself.
> Obviously, it'll have to be at least long enough to get the
> offset to the
> libl, and the number of entries in it.
>
> 5) After you've read the library list, DEALLOC the pointer, and don't
> refer to the contents of the data structure again.
>
> This approach should guarantee that you get all of the entries in the
> library list... the next question is, what are you going to
> do with them?

Scott,

Thanks for your help.  This is exactly what I was thinking about.  Just
didn't realize the implications of the "Bytes Availiable".

All I'm doing with the LIBL returned is passing it to the Chang Library List
API  (QLICHGLL).

The program I'm writing is supposed to set a job's current library list
using the initial library list of a JOBD.

Just in case you're wondering.  This program will be used in another whose
purpose is to set our developer's library lists correctly for testing with
respect to the Aldon CMS library configuration.

Thanks again,
Charles