Here's an old RPGIII version of a program that does just that.  "Upgrading" to
ILE, adding
some of John Rusling's suggestions and using as a service program might have
some possibilites (?).

<snippet>

     H        1
     FDBFILE  IF  F     528            DISK                           UC
     F                                              KINFDS FILEDS
     IDBFILE  NS
      *
      *   Dummy Field to satisfy RPGIII Compiler.
      *
     I                                        1   1 POS1
     IFILEDS      DS
      *
      *   File Record Count at OPEN.
      *
     I                                    B 156 1590@COUNT
     IRCOUNT      DS
      *
      *   Data Structure to convert alpha Parm to numeric.
      *
     I                                        1   90COUNT
     C*
     C           *ENTRY    PLIST
     C                     PARM           RCOUNT  9
     C                     OPEN DBFILE                 LR  Perform Open
     C           *INLR     IFEQ '1'                        for DB File.
     C                     Z-ADD999999999 COUNT            Open not
     C                     RETRN                           successful!
     C                     END
     C                     Z-ADD@COUNT    COUNT            Setup Parm
     C                     MOVE '1'       *INLR            EOJ flag on.
     C                     CLOSEDBFILE                     Close DB file.
     C                     RETRN                           back to Caller.
      *
      *   Dummy I/O operation to satisfy RPGIII Compiler.
      *
     C                     READ DBFILE                   LR
<snippet>