I did an article on this for the iSeries Network.  It does require a
professional membership to the iSeries Network to read:

http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/clubtech/index.cfm?fuseaction=ShowNewsletterIssue&ID=17607

The following is a link to the source code for that article.  I believe
that you can download this without a membership.  It includes a /copy
member with the prototypes and other definitions that are needed when
working with regular expressions.

http://www.iseriesnetwork.com/noderesources/code/clubtechcode/RegularExp.zip

A long time ago, I also posted some rather simplistic examples to this
mailing list.  If those interest you, please check the archives.

If you're using RE's in an international situation, I recommend
translating the expressions to CCSID 37, because many of the characters
used are not invariant.  I've got a sample of that posted on my Web site:

http://www.scottklement.com/qrpglesrc.redemo2

This last link does require some of the source code from the iSeries
Network article in order to run.