Stick with just dealing with ip's. Trying to deal with MAC's will drive you
nuts. Especially when you networks. Ethernet, Tokenring, Dialup, Wireless,
Firewals.  I assume the handhelds have some type of authentication (user logon)
so you know who you dealing with.

11/21/2003 11:05:44 AM, "Andy Holmer" <aholmer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I must admit that I didn't think about a proxy or a firewall changing
>the MAC address in the packet.  Maybe I should take a step back and
>explain a little more of the picture.
>
>I have RF devices that connect to an RPG socket program.  The program
>monitors an ERP database file for records to send to the handheld.  The
>ERP has a naming convention that is uses for processing, and I need to
>be sure that the device that connects receives only the records that
>were intended for it.  I am also writing the client/device piece so I
>had been retrieving the MAC address with the client program and sending
>it to the RPG program for a match.  The problem with that is if I
>support 5 platforms, I need to write the MAC retrieval piece 5 times, so
>I wondered about putting the logic back on the server in the RPG
>program.  So I guess my options are:
>
>1) Use IP address and require that all connecting devices have static
>IPs
>2) Write the MAC retrieval portion of code for all the different client
>platforms and send it as text to the socket program.
>3) Some RPG scheme that hasn't been introduced yet.......
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Andy Holmer

Jason Kleinemas
Programmer/Analyst
Solcom Inc.
The Solutions Company http://www.solcominc.com
2516 E. 52nd St. N.
Sioux Falls, SD 57104
Desk Phone: 605-367-1546
Office Phone: 605-357-8212
AIM: JasonSolCom
jasonkleinemas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Certified twice....... but still a couple PTFs away from Nirvana.