On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Bob cozzi wrote:
> Maybe IBM should drop support for the READ/WRITE/OPEN/CLOSE/UPDATE opcodes
> so that we are forced to upgrade and/or purchase SQL. <vbg>

Hmm, I wouldn't want to be the guy who made that decision when the
customer complaints starting coming in... :)

> What I meant by fixed-format can be ugly is that any code can be ugly, but
> mixing SQL and /FREE is always ugly.

You mean because of the extra lines for the /free and /end-free?

In other words, is this code
      c                   eval      a = 'something something'
      C/EXEC SQL

easier to read than this code?

                       a = 'something something';
      C/EXEC SQL

or is it just this code?

       /free
               a = 'something something';
       /end-free
      C/EXEC SQL

It seems to me that the ugly part is the /EXEC SQL rather than the eval
statement :)