Your PR should be:

      * // writeWB(java.io.OutputStream)
     D writeWB         PR                  EXTPROC(*JAVA
     D                                     :'org.apache.poi.hssf.usermodel-
     D                                     .HSSFWorkbook'
     D                                     :'write')
     D parm                            O   CLASS(*JAVA
     D                                     :'java.io.OutputStream')

Call it this way:
         writeWB(wb:outFile);

You do not need to prototype the first parm(wb) in the 'call'.  It is the object
that the writewb will operate on.

Create a CL wrapper and call your RPG module from there:

            MONMSG     MSGID(CPFA980)
            ADDENVVAR  ENVVAR(CLASSPATH) +
                         VALUE('/javalib/jakarta-poi-1.5.1.jar')

            CALLPRC    PRC(POIMSAMP)

Getting the classpath to work is very important.  If you call your RPG program
interactively, your classpath/JVM is set until you sign off.  So it is best to
create the cl wrapper to set the classpath and submit it to batch.  Took me
quite a while before I got that worked out.  Once I did everything fell into
place.

Here is a different example to check out:
http://www.mcpressonline.com/mc/1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@.6ae8269f!more=1#more

One thing I found in both examples is that they do not close the file when they
are done.  This can leave a lock on the excel file. Add the following to your
source:

      * // closeFile(java.io.OutputStream)
     D closeFile       PR                  EXTPROC(*JAVA
     D                                     :'java.io.FileOutputStream'
     D                                     :'close')

After the writeWB add:

        // Close file
        closeFile(outFile);

Other References: