>If you don't initialize a "varying" field, I think it's length is set to
zero so the error makes since.
Actually it is just blank space - x'40' until I Inz it, then it is x'F0'.

It would be nice if it would initialize to zero for you or have the compiler
notify you that it was not initialized.  For example the Java compiler gives
the following message for the following code:

int count;
for (int i = 0; count > i; i++){
   System.out.println("Hi");
}

Compile error: variable count may not have been initialized.

Aaron Bartell