This has been an enlightening, albeit shocking, thread.  I went to Binder
Source and the *CURRENT/*PRV method based on how great everyone on this list
and others like it claimed it was.  I later followed a similar approach and
began adding my own signatures based on the dates when the Binder source
changed.

I haven't had any problems so far and it has seemed to work as advertised, so
before I change my methodology again I want to be sure I understand what is
being said, so if someone could simply verify these statements:

1.  Hardcoding signatures buys you nothing beyond documentation and may
actually hide potential problems.  There *should* be no problem with this
approach, however, if the order of the exports does not change (which seems to
be sound advice under all the scenarios) and you retain the hardcoded
signatures in the *PRV blocks.

2.  Procedures are actually called by their export order number and not their
name, so as long as I don't reorder the exports (there we go again), I don't
actually need *PRV blocks IF I hardcode a *permanent* signature.

3.  I can use *CURRENT/*PRV and allow the signatures to be *GEN as long as I
...DON'T CHANGE THE EXPORT ORDER... without any problems.

Assuming that I have no problems changing the order of the exports (lol), are
there any potential binding hassles with any of these approaches?  I'm getting
ready to release a toolkit based entirely on *SRVPGMs and I don't want the
potential users to run into any binding issues down the road.

<COMMENTARY>
I'll keep my comments short and cut right to the chase: we need procedure
overloading.  If a procedure had real signatures based on the name, parm list
(including sizes and types), and return value, then we could hash those
signatures to create the service programs.  RPG has bifs with overloading (like
%date) so why can't we have it in the language?

It would also be great if some of this was a little more automated.  How about
an APDSRVPGM (append service program) command?  It is a pain to add a new
procedure to an existing service program.  And how about a BSTOSRVPGM - Convert
binder source to Service Program.  If I use Binder source (which I *think* is
still the preferred method), then I still have to type all the module names and
the binder source name on the CRTSRVPGM command.  I know I could probably write
these commands myself but it just seems they should be built in.

Sorry, seems like a good day to unload a little.
</COMMENTARY>

Thanks,

Joel
http://www.rpgnext.com