From: rpg400-l-bounces+srichter=autocoder.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:rpg400-l-bounces+srichter=autocoder.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf
Of DeLong, Eric
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 11:32 AM
To: 'RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries'
Subject: RE: what is object oriented programming

Steve said:

>>"An rpg data struct is an object"

Eric replied:

>No. Its a buffer definition. That's all.

Eric,

Do you agree that an object is a "thing" that is accessed only thru exposed
interfaces? That no access to the internal components of the object, by
definition, is allowed?

Now if your programming manager tells you that a certain data struct can
only be accessed by using a published set of procedures, doesnt that then
make the data struct an object?

Fields in the struct can be removed, added, changed.  The struct, if you
work on a V5R2 system, can be added as a member of a larger data struct. All
these changes will not break any code that uses the struct thru the
published set of procs that you are told to use.

is such a data struct just a buffer definition?

-Steve