I dunno, Buck.  If I followed the one proc/one page rule, I'd have hundreds of
procs for a given
application, each having logic that wouldn't be used anywhere else.  Ok, so
*maybe* you're not
limiting yourself to *absolutely* one page.  I would remind you that several
weeks ago, I was the
one getting beat up by Jon & Barbara & others in this very list for refusing to
create one-line
subroutines, i.e.:
   C      S0_DONE      BEGSR
   C                   EVAL     *INLR = *ON
   C                   ENDSR

@#$*&!!!  These drive me crazy!  I realize, from the list response, that I am
likely in the
minority.  I like to think there's more of a balance between one-line
subroutines and monolithic
programs.  Oh, and thanks for not lecturing. <g>

Joe, thanks for the compliment.  I am reminded that bleeding-edgers like myself
(?) have to get
past the "gee-whiz" giddy do-it-cuz-it's-new mindset and remember that my
higher-ups require a
business case for utilizing new technology (including new compiler features).
Part of the problem
of presenting an argument to do something new is that, without experience, your
facts come from a
magazine article or <gads> a mailing list thread.  All the answers to the
questions are prefaced
with, "supposedly" or "from what the article says", which does not instill the
greatest
confidence.

I actually *did* suggest in the meeting yesterday shifting new development to
use service programs
to handle all file I/O so that no application code ever has to do this.  This,
I thought I
remembered from previous list discussions, could alleviate some of the
performance concerns of
having all of these modules reading from the same files.  But that was too
much, too fast.

It seems a lot of our discussions on using new, esoteric (for us) techniques
usually are
acknowledged but eventually shot down with the phrase "In a perfect world".  <g>

As I indicated earlier, this shop is still light years ahead of any other shop
I've worked for.
Good things are happening.

TIA, Dan