Gary Guthrie wrote:

>I don't understand how folks can come to such conclusions in such a
>void. While it might be true that a considerable portion of your
>applications may adhere to such a scheme, it's not wise to blindly
>follow such a rule of thumb. Proper assignment of activation groups
>requires thought - you need to survey your applications and application
>goals and make your decisions based on specific needs rather than based
>on some "rule of thumb" general scheme. This becomes increasingly true
>when you integrate applications with each other.

Hi Gary

I don't mean to add to the pile of "WHAT!?!" that seems to have come through in
the last digest regarding the activation group issue.  However, I was wondering
if you had some concrete examples of what you mean.

My client is going through an enormously painful transition from OPM to ILE
RPG.  Mostly, I feel, because the "What?  I have to learn something new?"
mentality is simply killing the iSeries and RPG-- and these guys have got it
bad.

Editorialising aside, I'm trying to figure out *how* to present the idea that
proper Activation Group management will help their performance and job
management.  But all I know is what I've done through messing around and
reading.  But hard-and-fast practical cases?  That experience I do not have.

So, if do you have any suggestions beyond the rule of thumb expressed, I'd love
to hear them.

Thanks

-Doc