I think you wanted to use cvthc, rather than cvtch
.
I posted samples of calling these functions here:
http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l/200205/msg00309.html

The problem, I believe is that it's trying to read 8 bytes starting
at the beginning of your 'alp4HexBytes' variable.   Since that extends
4 bytes past the end of the parameter, it gives you the error that
you can't access the memory at that offset.