Tom
Here's an example of a program taken from our API book that will display
any given system value. It's only 65 lines. This is not a freeform example
but it should get you started.

DQWCRDR00         DS
D*                                             Qwc Rsval Data Rtnd
D QWCNSVR                 1      4B 0
D*                                             Number Sys Vals Rtnd
D QWCOSVT                 5      8B 0
D*
D Data                           1    dim(2096)

D QWCSV00         DS          2096
D  QWCSV01                            10      OVERLAY(QWCSV00:00001)
D  QWCTD01                              1      OVERLAY(QWCSV00:00011)
D  QWCIS03                                1      OVERLAY(QWCSV00:00012)
D  QWCLD01                              9B 0 OVERLAY(QWCSV00:00013)
D  QWCDATA01                 2080       OVERLAY(QWCSV00:00017)

DQUSEC            DS           116    inz
D QUSBPRV                 1      4B 0 inz(116)
D QUSBAVL                  5      8B 0 inz(0)
D QUSEI                         9    15
D QUSERVED           16    16
D QUSED01                17  116

D LockedCon       c                   'System value was locked'
D MoveInd            S              5  0
D NbrOfVals         S            10i 0 Inz(1)
D OutData              s            50
D ReceiveLen      S            10i 0 Inz(2104)
D SysValue           s             10

DBinaryCvt        DS
D BinaryNbr               1      4B 0

c     *entry        Plist
c                   Parm                    SysValue

 * Call the api to get the information you want
C                   Call      'QWCRSVAL'
C                   Parm                    QwcRdr00
C                   Parm                    ReceiveLen
C                   Parm                    NbrofVals
C                   Parm                    SysValue
C                   Parm                    QusEc

 * Process the data from the API
c                   Eval      MoveInd = Qwcosvt - 7
c                   Movea     Data(MoveInd) QwcSV00

c                   Select
 *  Value was locked, couldn't get it
c                   When      QwcIs03 = 'L'
c                   Movel     LockedCon     OutData
 *  Character data
c                   When      QwcTd01 = 'C'
c                   Movel     QwcData01     OutData
 *  Binary data
c                   When      QwcTd01 = 'B'
c                   Movel     QwcData01     BinaryCvt
c                   Movel     BinaryNbr     OutData

c                   Endsl

 * Display system value
c     OutData       dsply

c                   Eval      *inlr = *on

Ron Hawkins