Scott Klement wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 wrote:
> >
> > Why the extra blanks in the stat() data structure for the stat() IFS API's?
> >
> Because of the way variables are aligned in C structures.   To make
> things more efficient, 16-bit integers are aligned on 2-byte boundaries.
> 32-bit integers are aligned on 4 byte boundaries, 64-bit integers are
> aligned on 8 byte boundaries, pointers are aligned on 16-byte boundaries,
> etc, etc.
> In RPG however, this type of alignment does not occur unless you use
> the ALIGN keyword in your D-spec.

When working with C structs, there should be either a _Packed keyword on
the C struct or an ALIGN keyword on the RPG DS.  Exactly one or the

Just to let people know - there's a new version of my "Converting from C
prototypes to RPG" ( on the site.  It's been cleaned up and expanded, and it's also
been updated with V5R1 information (it's easier to call C from RPG now).

The site was down for a while but it has a new owner.