>You're confused because you're overlooking
>the fact that OpnQryF OPENS the file itself!

Hi Gary!  Good to hear from you on this one.  Actually, I completely
understand that OPNQRYF is doing the open.  AND that the override doesn't
get applied until the file is opened.

>It is that open that the scoping information
>relates to, not the open in the RPG program.

Sure, but I think of scope as the answer to the question "who can see this?"
As for OVRDBF OVRSCOPE(*ACTGRPDFN).  If issued in the default, programs at
this call level can see this override, as can programs at deeper call
levels.

Jon's answer provided the clue that lit the light for me (it's hockey
playoff season!)
"Since the ODP is _owned_ by an AG
 (OVR is a question of visibility not ownership)
 it cannot be visible to other AGs (including the DAG)."

It's a bit of a bummer.  I was hoping that a program in the named AG could
'see' an ODP in the default AG in the same way that it can 'see' the
override, but I guess that's just not the case.

So what's the value of OPNSCOPE(*ACTGRPDFN)?  If the AG always owns the ODP
for 'call level' based opens, where's the difference between *ACTGRPDFN and
*ACTGRP?  I 'get it' that compatibility means optimised for unchanged code,
i.e. all OPM.
  --buck