From: Jim Langston [mailto:jlangston@celsinc.com]
Sent: 24 April, 2002 22:40
To: 'rpg400-l@midrange.com'
Subject: RE: Request for CL, DDS, SQL RPG enhancements

Why use 2 files in a CL when you could do that in RPG?

Here's an example:
I have an application that retrieves the list of files in a library, and
then does some quick math to see if I need to reorganize the physical file
member.

I don't want to do all libraries on my system, but only certain ones.  So I
put the list of libraries I want to reorganize into a physical file.

If I could open up more than one file in a CL it would be a simple CL
program.

Read from the list of libraries.
For each library DSPFD into a file, then read through the file and check for
members to be reorganized.

As it is right now, I have to have 2 CLs.  One to read the list of
libraries, one to read the list of members.

In no way would I think this better written in RPG.  These are fairly simple
CL commands, DSPFD, RGZPFM, etc.. that are being called that are very easy,
quick, and explicit in CL.  In RPG I would have to set up system calls,
etc... and it would be much harder to maintain and understand what was
actually going on.  I'm simply trying to use the appropriate tool for the
job, in this case CL.

Regards,

Jim Langston

information of Merck & Co., Inc. (Whitehouse Station, New Jersey, USA) that may
be confidential, proprietary copyrighted and/or legally privileged, and is
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named on this message.
If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error,
please immediately return this by e-mail and then delete it.