MIDRANGE dot COM Mailing List Archive



Home » RPG400-L » March 2002

RE: RPG /free



fixed

>Long 80 column+ statements are a sign of a Visual Basic programming. <g>
(No offense.)

He he:-)  Well I am not a VB programmer, but if that is how they code then I
might like them (J/K).

Bob, the nice thing that /free lets us do is do indented nested statements.
A lot of code out there will be nested 3 or 4 levels deep which would leave
me next to nothing to do an eval operation trying to concatenate a couple of
variables together.

For instance:

If a = b
  dow *in90
     if java = 'slow'
       select
       when slow = 'reallyslow'
           eval Variable = %trim(%char(Custno) + ':' + %trim(CustFName) +
%trim(CustLName)
       endsl
     endif
  enddo
EndIf

In the above example it is easier to read on one line (IMO) than to have it
span multiple lines.

Aaron Bartell



-----Original Message-----
From: Bob Cozzi (RPGIV) [mailto:cozzi@rpgiv.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 11:11 AM
To: rpg400-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: RPG /free


As much as I dislike the /FREE syntax, RPG IV is not JavaScript.
Statements do not need to be on one line. Long 80 column+ statements are
a sign of a Visual Basic programming. <g> (No offense.)

I can't justify why IBM did it this way, but they did.

Bob Cozzi
cozzi@rpgiv.com
Visit the on-line  Midrange  Developer  forum at: http://www.rpgiv.com


> -----Original Message-----
> From: rpg400-l-admin@midrange.com [mailto:rpg400-l-admin@midrange.com]
On
> Behalf Of Bartell, Aaron L. (TC)
> Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 10:49 AM
> To: 'rpg400-l@midrange.com'
> Subject: RE: RPG /free
>
> <soapybox>
> That is like giving somebody their favorite meal and then taking it
away
> from them when they are only half-way done eating it!
>
> Having free-format but being limited to 72 characters is VERY
frustrating!
> Especially when you have already done some scripting languages which
don't
> limit you.  I am trying to guess why they would have limited to that
much,
> but I can only wonder.
>
> I definitely appreciate free-format, but what's the benefit to going
halfway
> with it?  "Well we don't want to totally alienate RPGIII people trying
to
> convert . . ."  The people that are learning free-format are going to
be the
> ones that want to change and that are going to take the time to learn
> something new.
> </soapybox>
>
> my .02
> Aaron Bartell
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Bob Cozzi (RPGIV) [mailto:cozzi@rpgiv.com]
> Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 10:20 AM
> To: rpg400-l@midrange.com
> Subject: RE: RPG /free
>
>
> No!
> You are limited to 72 or 73 characters.
> Columns 7 (or is it 8?) through 80.
>
> Bob Cozzi
> cozzi@rpgiv.com
> Visit the on-line  Midrange  Developer  forum at: http://www.rpgiv.com
>
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: rpg400-l-admin@midrange.com
[mailto:rpg400-l-admin@midrange.com]
> On
> > Behalf Of Bartell, Aaron L. (TC)
> > Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2002 9:59 AM
> > To: 'rpg400-l@midrange.com'
> > Subject: RPG /free
> >
> > In RPG free form are we limited to 80 characters for entering free
> form
> > code?
> >
> > Aaron Bartell
> > _______________________________________________
> > This is the RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries (RPG400-L)
mailing
> list
> > To post a message email: RPG400-L@midrange.com
> > To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
> > visit: http://lists.midrange.com/cgi-bin/listinfo/rpg400-l
> > or email: RPG400-L-request@midrange.com
> > Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
> > at http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> This is the RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries (RPG400-L) mailing
list
> To post a message email: RPG400-L@midrange.com
> To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
> visit: http://lists.midrange.com/cgi-bin/listinfo/rpg400-l
> or email: RPG400-L-request@midrange.com
> Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
> at http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l.
> _______________________________________________
> This is the RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries (RPG400-L) mailing
list
> To post a message email: RPG400-L@midrange.com
> To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
> visit: http://lists.midrange.com/cgi-bin/listinfo/rpg400-l
> or email: RPG400-L-request@midrange.com
> Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
> at http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l.


_______________________________________________
This is the RPG programming on the AS400 / iSeries (RPG400-L) mailing list
To post a message email: RPG400-L@midrange.com
To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options,
visit: http://lists.midrange.com/cgi-bin/listinfo/rpg400-l
or email: RPG400-L-request@midrange.com
Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
at http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l.






Return to Archive home page | Return to MIDRANGE.COM home page

This mailing list archive is Copyright 1997-2014 by MIDRANGE dot COM and David Gibbs as a compilation work. Use of the archive is restricted to research of a business or technical nature. Any other uses are prohibited. Full details are available here. If you have questions about this, please contact