Buck,

Just to expand a bit on source conversion from OPM to ILE....  I typically
think of RPGIII when someone says "OPM", so a necessary "first step" is
getting the code reformatted as an RPGIV member.  The goal on the initial
conversion is maximum compatibility with the OPM program.  Once the source
has been reliably migrated to the new format, then ILE can be incorporated
into the programs as needed.

A couple of gotchas that the newcomer should be aware of. I don't expect
this list is complete, just some of the most common.  These are from my
personal experience, so feel free to chime in if I missed something
important.  Thanks......

1) Numeric truncation - Like it or not, some programmers have come to depend
on the old truncation rules.  Those date conversion algorithms (MULT
10000.0001) and the like would not function correctly without the old rules,
and RPGIV issues an error (by default) when it happens.  For maximum
compatibility, use control spec TRUNCNBR(*YES) to restore the old rules for
the initial conversion. Note that this will NOT affect truncation rules for
expressions.

2) Numeric calcs to expressions - Some conversion tools will try to convert
numeric algorithms to expressions.  Looks pretty, but differences in the way
expressions and "fixed format" operators behave makes this a risky
modification.  NOTE: IBM does not add this feature in its CVTRPGSRC utility.

3) IGNDECERR - This compile option for RPGIII is not available for RPGIV.
However, RPGIV has FIXNBR(*{NO}ZONED *{NO}INPUTPACKED) which is probably
similar enough

4) Use Control specs to define the environment - Programs converted from
RPGIII to RPGIV should include control specs to better define the
environment and compiler options.  Use DFTACTGRP(*YES) for all newly
converted members. Once the program begins to use ILE features, the control
specs change.

Eric DeLong
Sally Beauty Company
MIS-Sr. Programmer/Analyst