Joe wrote:
>I can only imagine that the decision was made by some
>"compiler experts" who have never worked a single day in an application
>development environment.  More than likely, it's a group of computer
science
>academicians who have never programmed a business algorithm in their
lives.

Which would you prefer?  Would you rather have your RPG IV
compiler developed by application programmers?  Or by
compiler experts?

>Turning RPG into Java is a stupid idea.

I agree 100%.  Java and RPG IV are still on different
continents, functionality-wise, and there are no plans to
turn RPG into Java.  If you think RPG is moving in that
direction, you have no idea what Java is all about.

>By the way, if I'm wrong about the people who made the decision to can the
>MOVE operation, please let me know.  I'd love to hear some cogent
arguments
>about how MOVE is a bad operation that will make application development
and
>maintenance more difficult.  Then I'd like to see why
>
>     eval b = %editc(%dec(a:%len(b):0):'X')
>
>is better than
>
>     MOVE A B
>
>Really.  Convince me.