I had never even thought about it before, but I've always used this feature
of subfiles (and I do mean "feature").  It only made perfect sense to me
that it would return data from all fields on a chain or readc.  The whole
idea of the subfile is to store - at least - the key fields of the
pertinent records.  And, you wouldn't always want them input or both.

On the other hand, I've never needed to re-describe the i/o buffers in a
data structure.  Rarely have I written a program that, after i/o to a
screen - whether it be a simple format or a subfile - that I didn't assume
to have the same values of output-only fields before and after the I/O.

What about "hidden" fields?  from a cursory search of the manual below, it
appears that they would be considered i/o (both).  But I can remember using
hidden fields only in subfile records....

rick