You have it.  Use NOMAIN when you don't want the "main"
procedure to run.  ie the logic cycle, etc.

I would suggest against putting any "runtime logic" in
subprocedures.  Keep them seperate as your own BIFs.  Don't
code subprocedures into programs.

As far as opening and closing files, even with NOMAIN files
will be opened at first call.  When you compile, you'll see
the warning that you should close the file implicitly.  I've
ignored that for years now.  Why?  Even if you do close
them, you'll need to open them again, and the flags and BIFs
to check if the file is open don't recognize that, at least
they didn't in the past.

I still always let the system open my files that are defined
in subprocedures and do not close them.  Faster access for
future calls since it's already open.

Brad
www.bvstools.com