  • Subject: Re: Question about SQL performance vs. RPGLE performance
  • From: "Joep Beckeringh" <joep@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 00:35:09 +0200

David,

My question is: Why would you want to do that? RPG was designed to give
simple, efficient data base access.  The simplicity is in the way you
specify HOW things should be done through simple operation codes (or even
without operation codes, if you dare to use the cycle).  The efficiency is
achieved by opening every file once for every program.  SQL was designed to
give powerful data base access.  The power is in the way you specify WHAT
you want to be done, leaving the HOW to smart middleware (the optimizer).
To achieve this power, some efficiency had to be sacrificed.  All necessary
files have to be opened and closed for every action.  True, there are cases
where SQL is definitely quicker then RPG; true, IBM has worked hard to close
the gap between SQL and 'native' data base access.  But for single record
access RPG is a far more suitable tool than SQL.

Joep Beckeringh