  • Subject: RE: Another V5R1 query... Qualified DSs
  • From: "Stone, Brad V (TC)" <bvstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 07:22:33 -0500

Let me try and explain a little more.

I know we've all hated the fact that you can't have the same field in two
different Data Structures.  So, when I saw this, I thought "cool!  This will
be great."

But then I realized.  Using the QUALIFIED keyword means I have to qualify it
when i use it.

The reason I wanted to use the same field in two different data structures
is I wanted them to have the same value as well.  So when I said:

eval   Date = *DATE

Each and every data structure with a field of Date inside of it would have
the same value.

But, with this new feature, you have to say:

eval   DS1.Date = *DATE
eval   DS2.Date = *DATE

It may be just me, but this is why I wanted to have the same field names in
data structures.  What you describe in your #3 is just a small piece that
may be helpful.  It could be quite possible the only reason I'm saying this
is because I thought it meant something it did not and am looking for
something that makes this change worth the $15 we had to pay (I don't know
what it was, I'm just guessing.)

Brad