  • Subject: Re: More detail RE: Fast File Compare
  • From: "Brian Bagley" <BAGLEY@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 13:41:13 -0500

>>> "Hatzenbeler, Tim" <thatzenbeler@clinitech.net> 11/14/00 12:41:56 PM >>>
Actually its an application that needs to be ran daily.

What I have is a one of our Inventory systems is running on a PC.  But the
auditing facility on the PC software is very weak.  So what I wanted to do
was download the whole inventory file every night, and compare it with the
previous days download (image) and match up each corresponding item and see
if any records had been changed, and kick an exception report so our
accountants can account for them.

99% percent of our inventory is on the as/400 except for this one piece,
because it a specialized application...  So everynight, I read all the data,
and create records into our as/400 Materials Management system...  But it's
only about 97% reliable, so this is why I have now decided to take the whole
inventory file each night, and match the integrity of the data...

And since it will run every night, I was hoping to program it in an a
efficient way...

And right now its' via using the prefix command and the externally defined
data structures, with a compare at the datastructure level...

I was wondering if using the eval was the quickest way or should I use some
type of pointer to compare the locations in memory?

Or if there was a faster way, because this file will only get bigger...  And
the PC software will let them change and record no matter how old it is,
with no way of telling me about the change.

tim