  • Subject: Re: explicit close
  • From: bmorris@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 18:01:57 -0400

>Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 11:32:10 -0700
>From: Jim Langston <jlangston@conexfreight.com>
>At the end of every program there would be a call to cleanup the open
files.
>The cleanup would go through the open files and close them all.  I
remember
>I had built a public array to contain the names of the open files.  There
>was another procedure that was actually called when any file was opened
>that would add the name of the file to the bottom of the array and open
>the file.  The close procedure the would simply do a for...next loop and
>close each of the open files until it got to a blank entry, at which point
>it knew there were no more files open.  (Or perhaps I had it go though
>the entire array, I don't quite remember).
>
>This library was a convoluted thing with functions that called functions
>that called functions.

Along the same lines, you could have a module in your application that
handles
cleanup.  It would export a "register" procedure and a "cleanup" procedure.

The "register" procedure has a parameter of a procedure pointer.  It just
adds
this procedure pointer to an array.

The "cleanup" procedure calls all the procedures in the array and clears
the array.

Any module that does something that might need to be cleaned up codes its
own
private (non-exported) cleanup procedure, and calls the "register"
procedure
passing a procedure pointer to its cleanup procedure.

Barbara Morris