  • Subject: RE: Poorly documented APIs
  • From: "jt" <jt@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 12:11:21 -0400

Rajeev,

I've not used the QMHLJOBL API but I believe the use of the field 'Offset to
identifiers of fields to return' is this:  You are providing a list to the
API of what fields (what types of information) you want the API to return.
Right?  You need to tell the API where you put this list of fields.  The
offset just specifies where the start of this list (array of fields) is.  As
the manual say, "The offset, in bytes, from the beginning of the message
selection information parameter to the beginning of the identifiers of
fields to return array."  This is relative to where your JSLT0100 or
JSLT0200 data structure starts in the user space.  You *have* to know in
advance where you are specifying the array of field identifiers.

I'm not really sure what problem you are having with the concept of keys.
In the QUSLJOB API, you need to somehow specify what information you want to
get back from the API.  This saves the API from returning every single piece
of information, when you may only need a part of it.  The key field(s)
specify what kinds of info you want--similar to the field identifiers you
listed in the QMHLJOBL API.  For example key '0101' means you want the
active job status, key '0305' means you want the user profile.  The API also
uses this key when it returns the structure that contains all the info you
requested.

Hopefully I understood your questions.  To me, these questions indicate that
you are not very familar with API programming.  Forgive me if that is not
the case.  There are a number of resources for examples:  of course, the
magazines have many examples.  There is shareware/freeware examples.  Have
you looked at the OS/400 API Appendixes SC41-5881?  There are various
examples, but not necessarily the specific APIs you are looking at.  There
is also the so-called Information Center at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/html/as400/v4r4/ic2924/info/apis/api.htm
What are you currently using for examples?

The API manuals are reference manuals, not "how-to guides".  They assume a
certain level of experience.  IBM has much work to do in the area of
documentation, but IMO the API manuals do a good job of what they're
intended to do.

Good luck,

jt