  • Subject: Re: Retrieving Spool File Name in RPG
  • From: Evan Harris <spanner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 07:00:15 +1200

Paul and Vanya et al.

>  Maybe I'm missing something here, but couldn't you do the override
>  within the RPG program?  Set the printer file to USROPN, use the
>  system() API (or QCMDEXC) to override the printer file, and then OPEN
>  the file?

Agreed, I could do the open in the RPG. I had origjnally wanted to avoid
doing a User Open, but thinking about it, theres actually no good reason
for this. I just want to make it simple for the programmers who have to
code it.

The problem I encountered was that if I tried to retrieve the spool file
details (so I could change them) I could not get the name. Thinking about
it, applying another override and opening the file under user control ought
to do exactly what I want, without needing to get the name.

I had envisioned being able to retrieve the required spool file details in
the RPG and then creating a procedure or program that could be called to
handle changing the attributes etc. It seemed to me that would take away
the drudgery of opening/closing etc defining/changing arrays or strings in
every program. Further, at some stage down the track, it would have made it
simpler to alter the print distribution parameters if required as the code
would (hopefully) all be in the called program.

I'm still intrigued as to where I would get the spool file name from within
the RPG without having to go through the rigmarole I figured I'd have to go
to - it would make things a whole lot easier in my book.

By the way, what's the effect of not closing the user controlled file when
I seton LR ? Will the spool file remain open ?