  • Subject: Re: eRPG (was: RE: Quick survey - how well structured are your RPG apps?)
  • From: "Joe Teff" <joeteff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 19:06:30 -0500

>> Joe,
>> Well thought out answer there. But I have to disagree with you sites
>> getting a lot of hits might not benefit from java. Java
>> applets tend to
>> load and run slower than well written cgi's. Not all browsers support
>> java correctly and not all jvm's implement java in the same manner.
>> It seems that Sun has hired a few old time IBM'ers to run their java
>> division; first they disbanded the EMCA, then they broke of talks with
>> the ISO. Even though Ed Zander claims that standardization is one of
>> their three primary focus areas, you hear alot is disgusted
>> programmers.
>> And when those guys get disgusted they get busy finding a work around.
>> The JCP 2.0 might eventually settle on a standard but the longer it
>> takes the closer the linux community will come to living without java.

I was referring to servlets (and JSP) rather than applets. Servlets run
completely on the server, just like CGI/RPG, so are not dependent on large
downloads or client capabilities. Servlets can take longer on the first
request as the servlet must be loaded into the JVM. After that the
response is much faster than RPG. You can circumvent this lag time by
either pre-loading the servlet using the WebSphere administrator or by
making the servlet auto-load when WebSphere starts. I have not tried
any testing with many simultaneous requests as I'm just learning Java
and WebSphere.

Joe Teff