  • Subject: Re: Security, the AS/400 and the internet
  • From: "Joe Teff" <joeteff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 22:03:10 -0600

SSL is implemented in the applications. VPN is implemented in
TCP/IP. With SSL, the encryption is done by each application. For
example, with the HTTP server, http://... gets you unencrypted pages
while https://... gets you encrypted pages. With VPN, everything that
travels between to two IPs is encrypted and the application is
completely isolated from it. I've heard that SSL requires less resources
with V4R4, but that will be addressed in future releases. You can
think of VPN as a hunting knife and SSL as a scalpel. You can
encrypt at 40-bit, 56-bit or 128-bit. With SSL you either have to
purchase a Digital Certificate like VeriSign or create your own. I'm
not sure how much effort that would be. With VPN, you install
the virtual device on your PC and then start it like a second DUN
connection. You start the first to your ISP and then the second to
the IP that you want your tunnel to. Pretty easy to do. Either VPN
or SSL on the AS/400 requires you to order additional products
from IBM - they are free though. I'd check the redbook site and
search for VPN or SSL.

Joe Teff