  • Subject: Re: Using % type functions/using RPG IV
  • From: pcunnane@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 18:48:44 -0500

"I get the impression from people's comments here that some vendors of
off-the-shelf AS/400 software provide the source to their customers, and
then don't provide any support.  And from some of the scathing comments
I've seen it doesn't seem like the vendors would be interested in
incorporating fixes or enhancements done by their customers.  So the
result is not  a collaborative effort towards improved software for all,
as the Open Source model would imply.  Instead it's more of a "set the
customers adrift and hope they know how to handle the sails" approach."

     I think the reality tends towards more of a hybrid model.  Taking JDE
     as the example I am currently most familiar with, the source is
     available to all customers.  On the other hand, the application vendor
     does seem to put quite a substantial effort into customer support.
     This is not Open Source in the classical sense of the term.  However,
     the benefits to the customer are obvious.  I can find and kill bugs at
     short order, without having to wait for JDE to catch up.  Where JDE
     fall down is that they do not seem to embrace feedback from customers
     like me readily enough.

   "You say that your customers come to you when they find bugs ---
   without the source, all they can really do is find anomalous
   behaviour.  Your company then taxes itself with finding the actual
   code that is in error, and fixing it."

"That's true, but doesn't it make more sense that we, the developers,
spend that time -- that's part of our job -- rather than the customers
-- who, after all, have their own work to be doing."

     But wouldn't it be nice for a customer with a show-stopping bug, and
     the expertise to tackle it, to have the opportunity to fix it straight
     away?  You can argue that you _should_ be doing it --- fine, but is
     that ipso facto a reason for the customer to be _prevented_ from doing
     it?

   "The single most common net effect of this is that the
   vendor does not fix the bug, or at least not in a timely fashion."

"That depends on the way the vendors deal with their customers.  I think
we are generally better than you suggest, but I'm not in the best
position to judge."

     Good for you.  I wish other vendors would learn from your example.
     Maybe it's easier with a niche product, and consequently fewer
     customers, to focus on quality customer service.