  • Subject: Re: Combined-Primary (CP) workstn file
  • From: "Joep Beckeringh" <joepb@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 23:04:49 +0200

----- Oorspronkelijk bericht -----
Van: Dan Bale <dbale@genfast.com>
Aan: <rpg400-l@midrange.com>
Verzonden: dinsdag 28 september 1999 0:15
Onderwerp: Re: Combined-Primary (CP) workstn file

> As far as getting your workstation coding into the 90's <g>, by all means
define
> workstation files as full-procedural and take advantage of being able to
WRITE,
> READ, & EXFMT anywhere in your code's logic.  The EXFMT is a combined
WRITE then
> READ sequence of a given display format.  Ummm, do you use subfiles at
all?  Can
> you use subfiles with Combined-Primary?  (I can't imaging how...)

The problem with a primary workstation file is that logically the first
thing a program should do with a primary file is read a record.  Alas,
before you can read a 'record' from a workstation file, you have to write
one to the screen.  Technically speaking, that is possible, because the
cycle starts with output, but because you haven't 'done' anything yet, there
is not much to display than an empty screen.  On the S/36 there was a
workaround (basically supplying a string parameter that would be read as the
first input record), but on the AS/400 it is not very feasible.

(Never tried it with subfiles, though.  Should be possible; shall I try it?
Nahhh, so many other useless things to try).

Joep Beckeringh