  • Subject: RE: "extract" command enhancement(subfiles and BIFs)
  • From: Joel Fritz <JFritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1999 11:01:56 -0700

I've written text based screens in C and I'll readily admit that it's a lot
of work.  Some of the stuff you can reuse like position cursor routines, and
other stuff you can buy (if you're lucky) libraries for.  One thing I had to
do in a class was to write a getline() function that supported insert,
overstrike, masked input, home and end keys, right and left justification,
and accomodated input fields of any length up to an arbitrary size.  It was
hard work for a novice programmer and took me a long time.  I learned a lot
about programming from it including techniques I could use in many
situations that had nothing to do with screens.

When I was done, I also had something I could use over and over again by
just plugging it in to a program.  (All right, the AS/400 equivalent is
pretty much done for you in DDS.)

The thing that bothers me about AS/400 display programming is that logic
plays a minor role.  What's important is knowing the right keywords to
apply.  I think the difference between the arcana of display files and "ANY
programming situation" is the sheer number of arbitrary things you need to
know.  In many programming tasks you need to know fewer than 20 reserved
words, some of which are arithmetic operators that many people have seen
before.  How many reserved words were there in K&R C?  I know there's a few
more now, but think how many there are for display files.  It is a matter of
personal taste and for me, middle aged memory.  If I'd started display file
programming when I had short term memory, I probably would remember keywords
instead of baseball statistics or the lyrics to top 10 songs from 1956.

I do agree that it's much faster to put up a simple display on the AS/400
than other text based environments I've seen.  I just don't like what you
need to do to do it.<g>

A subfile by itself probably shouldn't take 2 days to write, but an
application that does update, add, delete, and offers a few bells and
whistles like position to logic and programmatic error checking could easily
take two days if you include a little time for testing.