  • Subject: Re: Hex Values of a Character field
  • From: "Tony Smithurst" <TonyS@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 10:49:26 +0200

Joe,

A very simple way of achieving this would be to overlay your character over
the last byte of a 2 byte binary field, which is initialised to zero, in a
data structure.

Divide the binary field by 16 to get your left nibble.
Use the remainder for your right nibble.

Then use the lookup method you already employ to convert to a hex
character. Or simpler still, just use an array of '0123456789ABCDEF' but
add 1 to your index prior to access, this should be quicker than the lookup
method.

Hope that helps,

Tony Smithurst