Don't know if this would help Rob with his FF problems, but I finally
forced my FF install to use multiprocess support, and it has made an
immense difference in performance and stability in my case.

Search for: firefox electrolysis e10s

Mozilla appears to have been ultraconservative in automatically activating
multiprocess to the masses; from my reading, this was a massive undertaking.

I recommend installing the "Add-on Compatibility Reporter" add-on before
enabling multiprocess; this indicates which of your other add-ons are
compatible (or not) with multiprocess. I found out last week that the last
of my add-ons that wasn't compatible, is now, and I made the jump, and I
couldn't be happier. Also, be sure to backup your FF profile before
enabling.

(FWIW, I stick with Firefox solely because I can't live without the Tab Mix
Plus add-on.)

- Dan