From: pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:pctech-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of John Jones
Sent: Monday, November 08, 2010 8:44 AM
To: PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users
Subject: Re: [PCTECH] Power Supply?

Possibilities in the order I'd try:
1. Loose connection somewhere (power cable, cables from PSU to
motherboard). Tighten up or unplug/replug the connections.
2. Dust somewhere. Use a can of compressed air & blow the dust out.
all vents & fans and make sure you blow out the PSU as well as the
fans. Also blow out any heat sinks. You might want to take the PC
for this step.
3. Power supply. Swap in a known-good one.
3. Motherboard. Examine the board for scorch marks. Examine capacitors
bulges/leaks. Replace
4. CPU. Examine/replace thermal compound between CPU & heat sink.

If you get to items 3/4 and you have to buy a replacement board or CPU,
consider upgrading to a current gen CPU (i3/i5/i7 for Intel, for
Current CPUs should be faster while consuming a little less power.

Just about anything else and you'd get a BIOS beep code to indicate the