I've got an IBM 3581 changer hooked up to a server and being processed by Backup Exec 12. Currently the drive is set to Random mode.

I used to have a Dell changer with a barcode reader and the changer was able to communicate all cartridge changeouts to BE whenever done one by one. With the 3581, whenever I swap cartridges, BE knows nothing about it unless I tell it to do an inventory of the slots. I assume this is because it doesn't have a barcode reader option installed.

The problem I run into is that if I forget to perform an inventory after swapping some tapes, BE will continuously circuit the slots looking for an available/non-protected tape - which it never finds because to BE, they're all overwrite protected, even though some are really not, they were changed out.

My question is, what if I changed to Sequential, would it then just continue on to the next tape regardless whether BE thinks it's protected or not? Or would I still run into the same problem?

Bill