On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 14:10, Jeff Crosby<jlcrosby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
- The numlock key initial state wasn't an issue until the domain was
installed. ÂSo it must have something to do with the domain install.

Yes, joining a Windows XP machine to a domain will force it to use the
legacy logon screen, instead of the home screen (where you can select
users with a mouse). This might have affected your issue.

Maybe you're looking for this fix?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/154529/

That link was in the "related" section of my previous link.

You could set this using GP Preferences, provided you have installed
the necessary CSE on the clients (which can be deployed through WSUS).

Download here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=e60b5c8f-d7dc-4b27-a261-247ce3f6c4f8&DisplayLang=en

- I had always thought (probably erroneously) that AD settings were stored
somewhere on the DC in a 'registry-like' object. ÂThis is what I was looking
for. ÂLike I said, I had found the VB script, but thought there was another
way.

Group policy registry policies are stored in

\\ad.example.com\sysvol\ad.example.com\Policies\{GUID OF
POLICY}\Machine\Registry.pol

(or User, in case it's a user policy).

These files should NEVER be edited by hand. Use gpmc.msc to do that.

- My PC is normally on 24x7, with me logged on and the keyboard locked. ÂThe
consultant told me that when a user logs off, that's when stuff is pushed to
the domain, so I should make it a habit to log off on some kind if regular
schedule. ÂMade sense to me.

This sounds to me like roaming user profiles. They're saved to a path
specified in the user object in active directory, but are again a
"client only" technology. The server just stores the files.

won't help. ÂOr am I not understanding when it runs? ÂDoes pressing
Ctl-Alt-Del cause it to run?

No, you are correct. This isn't the solution for your problem. But
providing i understood it correctly, the link above should fix it.

It's the kind of thing that really honks off users and they think that stuff
should be priority 1.

It's also priority 1 when Outlook 2007 broke animated GIFs. This is
roughly the point where i stopped caring ;)