2008/5/13 Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Martin Rowe wrote:
> I'm now running Ubuntu 8.04 on my Eee as it's easier to
> install applications that aren't in the Xandros version of Linux
> that comes as standard.

Thanks for your post, Martin. I found the the larger screen model at
Amazon. http://tinyurl.com/43kqjw.

How did you replace Xandros with Ubuntu? I just downloaded the .iso
image of Ubuntu which I thought required a boot from a CD drive.

I have a USB DVD drive (I wanted a DVD burner for my server and it was
only £5 more to get an external drive) so it was quite easy. I did a
standard Ubuntu install, with just one change to tell the install I
didn't want any swap partition. I've upgraded the RAM to 2GB, so it's
unlikely swap would be needed, and it's additional wear on the SSD.
Then I tweaked the install as per the eeeuser.com wiki -
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/installing_ubuntu_8.04, using the Install
Program section near the end. That section used to be on this page -
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/getting_ubuntu_8.04_to_work_perfectly - which
has a host of tips for customising the install, though the install
program does most of them. The author of the program runs a local
business selling laptops & desktops with Linux pre-installed and goes
to one of the LUGs in my area, so I felt fairly comfortable taking the
lazy option he offered ;)

Others have commented to the limited life of an SSD drive. There is a
page on eeeuser.com - http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ssd_write_limit?s=ssd
lifetime - that goes into detail on this, and came to the conclusion
that even with quite a few hours of daily use it will be quite a few
years before the wear patterns cause issues. If you're concerned you
could just do the install to a a four or eight GB SDHC card, leaving
the Xandros install untouched.

I'll second Joe's opinion on eeeuser.com - there's a huge amount of
resources available. The main page of the wiki -
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/ - is worth reading through, just to get an
idea of what people are trying to acieve with the Eee PC.

Regards, Martin