Art Tostaine, Jr. wrote:
   6. Re: Whole-house surge suppressors ( was Re: Home office
      design ) (Art Tostaine, Jr.)

date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:27:49 -0400

I'm interested in your power line networking.  I live in the middle of
nowhere, and I sometimes get mad at speed of wireless.  Since I bought a
spec home here, I didn't get a chance to run cables everywhere.

My Electric Co Op is beta testing Broadband over power lines.  Since I'm
stuck with satellite here, I pray they let me have it. They said I might be able to participate in spring 2007

Art:

Apologies if confusion came from my wording (and for my late response).

The "powerline" networking should more properly be referred to as "home powerline" networking. As much as I could use networking out through the grid, I'm only using it inside my house to connect a couple areas that aren't otherwise cabled. My AS/400, for example, connects to a switch which is then connected into a house power outlet. At the other end, another outlet connects to a wireless router.

The powerline units do allow a lot of quick flexibility. I'm not at all sure how the whole-house surge suppressor affects any 'leakage' out to nearby homes; I recall long-ago bits relating to how signals tend to get blocked by units in general. We also have the local distribution box just on our side of the line coming down the "road". Two other homes are served by that box, neither of which I'd expect to even imagine networking was possible in such a way. No homes past us in the other direction(s).

Tom Liotta