I'll second this.  When we finished off our basement for my office about 12
years ago there wasn't a single sheet of drywall without a box in it.  I
would also add to add plenty of data lines.  I think that I put in six but
have since gone back and added a couple more as well as some antenna wires
for radio stuff.  The room has a drop ceiling and I always left a string
tied off between the box and the ceiling to make it easier to pull
additional wire later.  Do you have a central point for wiring such as
patch panels, hubs/switches, router, broadband modem, etc.?  That's one
thing that I did and it has made life easier in the long run.  It also
makes it easier to put all of that stuff on a single UPS.

If I were you I would also plan as much storage space as you can carve out.
My wife is a teacher and has tons of art and science supplies but not a lot
of space to put them.  Bookshelves are another good thing.

On a slightly less serious note, I always make sure that I can see the TV
from my desk.  If I'm working and have the TV on I don't want to waste time
and effort to get up so I can see what's going on.  It also makes it easier
to operate the remote.

Dave Parnin
--
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571

                      "Bob Crothers"

                      <bob2@cstoneindy.        To:       "'PC Technical
Discussion for iSeries Users'" <pctech@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      com>                     cc:

                      Sent by:                 Subject:  Re: [PCTECH] Home
office design
                      pctech-bounces@mi

                      drange.com

                      10/11/2006 08:43

                      AM

                      Please respond to

                      PC Technical

                      Discussion for

                      iSeries Users

POWER!

Lots of power outlets on several circuits. Probably double what you think
you need.  At this stage, outlets and circuits are very inexpensive.  I
wouldn't even think of putting normal outlets in...use four plex's. And
then
probably one of those every 4 feet or so.

I'd probably also have a power outlet on it's own circuit right under the
window depending on what part of the country you live in.  Why?  Because
with all of that equipment, you'll be generating a lot of heat...and
upstairs is always hotter than down anyway.  So there is a decent chance
you'll end up putting in a supplemental air conditioner in.

Sounds excessive, but when did you last have to many power outlets??

I'd also have at least 2 cable & phone jacks on opposite sides of the room.
Just to give you flexibility.

Basically, wire it as if it was an office....NOT a residence.

Bob