Personally I'd stay away from XP Home and get XP Pro...

Chuck

-----Original Message-----
From: pctech-bounces+chuck.lewis=leesupply.net@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:pctech-bounces+chuck.lewis=leesupply.net@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
rick baird
Sent: Thursday, October 13, 2005 8:34 AM
To: PC Technical Discussion for iSeries Users
Subject: [PCTECH] switching WinXP licenses on two PCs

Has anyone done this?

I've got an old dell with WinXP Pro, and am considering getting a new
PC and giving my old one to my son.

What I want to do is switch the licenses - putting my copy of XP Pro,
and putting the XP home version on my old one.

I will be scraping the disks clean on at least the old one before this
process - the new one too, if it's recommended.

these are my questions:

Will a preloaded OEM version of XP load on another pc, assuming it
comes with a real XP CD, and not some 'disaster recovery' type install
CD?

When the mother ship gets wind of a change in processors on both
installs, what is the process to activate the installs?

In what order would you do this?  my thoughts:

format the new pcs drives clean and re-install XP home (as usual, lots
of 60 day trials and other crap I don't want will be pre-installed and
i'd just as soon start fresh)

transfer all the data I want to keep (a lot) via USB from my old pc to
the new one.

format the old one's disk drives

upgrade the new one to XP pro

install XP home on the old pc.